Viewing a history listing
|20:19, 27 October 2013||Voidious||New reply created||(Reply to Weird problem)|
|19:57, 27 October 2013||AncientPyro||New reply created||(Reply to Weird problem)|
|23:46, 20 October 2013||Voidious||New reply created||(Reply to Weird problem)|
|22:02, 20 October 2013||AncientPyro||New thread created|
Several years ago, I was very active in robocode and may have screwed around with it a bit (not really sure anymore). Now, I've come back to find robocode behaving very weirdly. When I use the default robocode editor to make a new robot, save and compile it, the compiled .class file appears in the .robocode/robots directory in the appropriate package. However, when I make a new battle, neither the robot or its package show up (even after refreshing). When I removed some of the older bots already in the directory and refreshed the robot list, however, they were also removed from the robot list (Wierd, huh? It's almost like it ignores any new packages). I tried deleting the .robocode directory and retrying everything, but the result didn't change.
That does sound strange. What version of Robocode are you using? Fnl has made quite a lot of improvements to the app in recent years, so I'd probably just install a fresh copy and then copy over my robots directory.
And welcome back. :-)
Sorry for the late reply. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that I downloaded the ubuntu-tailored version from the Synaptic Package Manager. It was an older version as well. I tried reinstalling that without success. However, when I downloaded a fresh version from online it worked just fine (except for abysmal performance when using graphical debugging (it is seriously awful)).
p.s: When battling my new bot KBot against Dookious, I get 31% out of 10 battles :D. Remarkable since I just mashed together random movement + wall smoothing with an admittedly pretty powerful k-means clustering gun.
There are some graphics settings in preferences that might help. I don't think it defaults to "Fast".
I'm not sure if Robocode is equipped to run from an installed location like that. It seems entirely possible to me the package is just broken. (Note it's not necessarily the author, who'd probably know how to do it right, that packaged it.)
Keep up the good work vs Dookious. :-) He's still a pretty tough cookie.