|Movement||Minimum Risk Movement|
|Released||2003 - 2004|
|Code Size||749 bytes|
this is a micro-melee bot, with a pretty good ER-melee rating for it's size.
02-18-2004: released the source code. I commented some things and tried to make it readable.
- Understanding HawkOnFire
- What's special about it?
- This MicroBot by rozu brought with it a revolutionary Melee movement, an implementation of Minimum Risk Movement. It remained closed source for a long time before rozu eventually released the source for it. At the time, ABC (another top Melee bot author) called it the "best melee movement I've ever seen", and called the release of its source a "big spoiler".
- How competitive is it?
- A very long time ago, it was #1 in micro melee, #6 in micro 1v1, and #3 in teams.
- Now, as of August 2017, it is #5 in micro melee, #111 in micro 1v1, and #9 in teams.
- How does it move?
- It tries to move a nearby point with the least amount of danger. For more details, see the writeup.
- How does it fire?
- Simple Head-On Targeting, usually with power-3 bullets.
- How does it dodge bullets?
- It tries to keep moving constantly, by staying away from its previous location.
- How does the melee strategy differ from One-on-one strategy?
- In melee it spins its radar, and in 1v1 it uses the Infinity Lock (for Code Size reasons).
- How does it select a target to attack/avoid in melee?
- It fires directly at the closest enemy.
- What does it save between rounds and matches?
- Nothing between rounds and matches.
- Where did you get the name?
- Only rozu knows, and he doesn't visit the wiki anymore.
- Can I use your code?
- While rozu never mentioned any license for this bot, keep in mind:
- It has been 13 years since he has been active in Robocode.
- He has released the source code publicly, with the intention of it being read.
- He has placed some of his other works (e.g. Apollon's Precise Predictor) in the public domain.
- Therefore, he probably would not object to anyone looking at or borrowing from his code.
- What other robot(s) is it based on?
- HawkOnFire is completely original.