- What's special about it?
- It uses my super-duper pattern matcher (lifted straight from WeeklongObsession, unmodified). Making this more special, it is my first try at Wave Surfing.
- How competitive is it?
- It's at #2 in the MiniRumble, after CunobelinDC recently (May 2009) took its #1 spot.
- How does it select a target to attack/avoid in melee?
- No melee.
- What does it save between rounds and matches?
- Between rounds it saves every string of moves the enemy made between every span of 1-30 ticks, as well as the wave surfing bins. Nothing between matches.
- Where did you get the name?
- It is the next in my obsession series. First it was WeekendObsession, the nano. Then WeeklongObsession, the micro. Now this mini-bot. Their defining character is pattern matching. Well, really my special pattern matching, but that wouldn't fit in a nano, so WeekendObsession had to settle for the standard nano pattern matcher.
- Can I use your code?
- I will quote from WeeklongObsession, "Not unless (until?) you thoroughly understand it and could re-construct it at an intuitive level :). That's the only way I could ever use other people's ideas. But I'm warning you, this is one memory-hungry beast!! Don't try to run it for more than 1 match without re-starting robocode, or just a few matches if you have a lot of memory. (Yes, the memory sticks around between matches. I'm not holding on to it, Java's String class is. It keeps a HashMap of every string it has ever seen, and I make a LOT of them)."
- What's next for your robot?
- I'm tring to find a good way to use 25 bytes? And it would be fun to see a "0" on the losses page in the Premier League.
- Does it have any White Whales?
- Yeah ... but I haven't really been motivated to target any of them specifically yet. Although losing to Smoke (a micro) is a bit motivating ...
- What other robot(s) is it based on?
- Like I said, the gun is lifted straight from WeeklongObsession, unmodified. For the Wave Surfing I started with BasicGFSurfer's movement and hacked & changed until I came up with what I now have. There are parts you would recognize, but it's actually a lot different now.
- -- edit --
- Oh, and I forgot to mention, Komarious gave me the excellent idea to calculate wave surfing dangers WHILE factoring in a flip from dive prevention. (Does anyone know what I'm talking about??). Anyway, that lets the bot calculate the best time to make that flip possibly before necessary, to avoid oncoming waves.