|Best Rating||55th (Dec '10)|
Lynx is an open source bot that is based on many existing techniques. It is a result of going through many Tutorials and Open Source Bots available on RoboWiki and doing some experiments with distancing.
- What's special about it?
- One special feature at the moment may be its distancing. It keeps distance by doing Wall Smoothing on a virtual circle (or a "shield") that surrounds the opponent.
- How competitive is it?
- It is quite early to say that. Probably some things will change in the near future. At the time of writing this it was ranked as 87th but I think it will oscillate depending on how good or bad next updates will be.
- What other robot(s) is it based on?
- Lynx uses ideas from various sources. At least following bots have had influence on it: Apollon, DrussGT, Komarious, BasicGFSurfer and Raiko. See the credits below for details. Initially Lynx was built using wiki.BasicGFSurfer as a basic structure. Its implementation of WaveSurfing was taken from it and modified a bit to fit to Lynx's structure. Later I replaced its segmentation with segmentation used in Komarious (after that Lynx was ranked 65th being 87th before it).
- wiki.BasicGFSurfer by Voidious, PEZ and Bayen: initial structure for Lynx and the implementation of WaveSurfing
- Komarious by Voidious: the segmentation for WaveSurfing
- ABC: inventor of WaveSurfing
- Rednaxela: the implementation of the kd-tree
- rozu: precise prediction used in the Lynx's movement system
- DrussGT by Skilgannon: normalizing and weighting "features" that describe states for the gun ("segmentation" in DC)
- Raiko by Jamougha: choosing a bullet power
- PEZ: Simple Iterative Wall Smoothing
- Voidious and others: good tutorials for getting into robocoding
- Does it have any WhiteWhales?
- Yes, probably some. One type of them was taken into account in version 1.06. Lynx used to lose relatively clearly to bullet catchers (e.g. GeomancyBS and BulletCatcher). After version 1.06, Lynx do not try to fire directly at the middle of opponent's bot location if it doesn't move. This modification resulted a significant improvement against those type of bots and a slight improvement in Lynx's overall performance in RoboRumble. Its APS improved 0.14 percentage points which raised bot's rank from 65th to 62nd.
- Can I use your code?
- Sure. One of my goals was and is to focus on reusing existing techniques and components and attempting to make them even more reusable. However, all functions or code pieces may not yet have credits to original authors.